The New Zealand Institute
of Patent Attorneys, Inc
If you are looking for a New Zealand career in intellectual property you may wish to bookmark this page. Our members post job vacancies here from time to time.
If you are an employer wishing to post an advertisement please get in touch with the secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
30 Jan 2020
Head of Patents at Xero
At Xero, we're here to make running a business beautiful. By making small business more efficient every day, connecting them with big business technology and empowering a community behind them, their potential is limitless. When that happens, we're not only helping small business, we'll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
How you'll make an impact...
An awesome opportunity exists within Xero's Global IP function to play a key role executing Xero's patent strategy, and supporting and overseeing operational patent work.
We are amazingly flexible so you could be based in Auckland, Wellington, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide or Brisbane, talent matters, location doesn't!
Reporting to Xero's GM Intellectual Property, this role will be an important part of Xero's global intellectual property function that sits within the agile legal team. The role will build strong relationships with stakeholders across the business to capture and protect Xero's innovative technology, and will also assist in managing external counsel. At times, the role may need to support on assessments for M&A and other investment projects, and for infringement and licensing matters.
What you'll do
- Manage Xero's global patent and design portfolio, including drafting and prosecuting applications (in conjunction with our external patent advisors).
- Liaise with Xero's external patent advisors, within budget.
- Support the GM Intellectual Property in executing Xero's global patent strategy, including delivery of specific programs of work.
- Engaging with the business in a meaningful way to capture inventions from the technical and design teams.
- Provide engaging and empowering training to our Xeros on IP topics.
- Provide support in matters involving third party patent rights including assisting with licensing and litigation matters.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders across the business.
- Assist the legal team and extended business with day-to-day IP queries.
What you'll bring…
The successful candidate will possess 6+ years PQE (post qualification experience) in computer science/programming, physics or related fields, and be a registered patent attorney or patent agent (NZ, AU, US, EU, UK). Your strong analytical skills, growth mindset and ability to engage with and teach others will see you thrive in a flexible and fast paced global environment. You have high ethical standards and integrity, excellent communications skills and a bias for innovation, agility and collaboration.
Take the next step with a progressive and innovative business with a global footprint. This is preferably a full-time role but for the best candidate we will have flexibility.
At Xero, we champion innovation, foster inclusion and celebrate success. We also live and breathe our values everyday. As #Human is one of Xero's values, please outline in your application what makes you #human at work, and how do you think a legal function can be more #human?